Today I can finally show you pictures of a quilt I finished more than two months ago - but the weather's been so dull and cloudy it was impossible to get any proper pictures of it! And I wanted the photos of this quilt to do it justice, because I'm very pleased with how it turned out, as is the recipient-to-be, Thomas (aged 8).
This quilt features wonky stars made with Kaffe Fasset's shot cottons, with a background of Kona coal, a dense, dark grey. I started off with a pack of shot cottons in 6-inch squares from Cottonpatch, then bought more of the colours I liked to make some bigger stars and to make the quilt backing. By request, the back is orange! But actually this really works with the dark quilt top and its bright stars. Also on the back I was asked to include the moon, which is appliqued. The binding is in the same grey as the quilt top.
Here's the back - the orange is softer than it looks here. As I had to join two pieces together, I put in a row off flying geese while I was at it.
So finally today the weather was sunny. I photographed the quilt on a stone wall a short way from our house. It's alongside a public footpath so a few people passed as I was taking the pictures, but nobody asked any questions!
I've quilted this with a mix of hand and machine stitching. I stitched radiant lines by hand on the stars in a colour to match each star, and went round each one in pale silvery grey. Between the stars I used my machine to quilt "swooshes", as if these were shooting stars, using dark grey as a top thread and orange in the bobbin so that this machine quilting is more texture than pattern.
I'm so happy with this one, and so is Thomas. The only problem is he's having to wait before he can use it until I've finished Kitty's quilt! And that's another story you can read here..
Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think of this quilt - I'd like to know!
- Vicky x