Friday 25 November 2016

Star or snowflake?

I recently became the owner of a glass kiln - a Skutt Firebox 8.  It can do amazing things to glass, one of which is to turn glass rods into these lovely decorations.  But: are these stars, or snowflakes?
P1150348

At first I thought they would be stars, but now I think they're snowflakes, especially the pale green and blue ones.  Each one is made from pieces of 6mm diameter Bullseye glass rod (buy it here) and fired for six hours in the kiln.

P1150351

Getting the glass to fuse together took a bit of experimenting, but eventually I got the design and the kiln programme right, and by Christmas I should have enough for some special glass presents!

P1150352

To hang them, each will have a silver bail:

P1150356

More adventures with glass coming soon - I can also use the kiln to fire special glass paint, to add detail to stained glass pieces!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...